Saturday, February 28, 2009

Blumenkinder

On a small brick ledge in the dining room of my mother-in-laws home, are the sweetest little figurines made by German artisans. Every time I am there I have to admire her absolutely adorable collection. These precious little "blumenkinder", translated means "flower children", have been made since the 17th century by skilled crafters living in the Erzebirge region (a mining area bordering the Czech Republic). These traditional wooden toys and folk art often reflect the lives of the people in the area, and with the exception of a few modern production machines, this is a tradition has remained relatively unchanged for hundreds of years. This is just one of the many reasons why I am totally infatuated with this tradition rich country full of histories for me to discover every day.

4 comments :

  1. How cute! Never have seen them before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we went to Düsseldorf at the christmas time and I saw them in the shop there , I do like them, very cute

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents have one of these - a little christmas angel. Nobody really remembers were it came from, but it's extremely cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts
    and I am waiting for your next post thank you once again.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails