Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Creating Applique Shapes from Fabric - Tutorial


Sometimes when I work on a project, it feels natural to me that some of the same design elements within the fabric should also be incorporated into the project itself. I love applique, and I especially love to mix mediums. I actually started this project two years ago when I was inspired by Alison Glass' Applique book, and only recently pulled it back out to finish it. 


I thought that adding the the bird and the bee outlines from Alison's Seventy Six fabric collection was the perfect way to complete this. Since I had a good response on Instagram concerning a tutorial, I thought I would pass on to you how I did it:

1. Start with the fabric you would like to use and make a copy of it.  For the actual project I enlarged it by 115%, but here it is enlarged to 140% for better visibility. (Alison Glass Flourish, color Pomegranate for Andover fabrics)


2. With a black Sharpie, I simply outlined the shape. You can see how I started on the right side, and extended the lines that were open so as to have a closed shape. I also added an inner freehand outline on the wing, and in the body, where the fabric can peek through later.


3. Now for the best part... did someone say Freezer Paper? Trace the outline from the copy, and cut out the finished shape.


4. The beauty of Freezer Paper is that it irons onto the fabric medium that you are working with, and stays in place without slipping and sliding when cutting. Iron on and cut out entire shape as well as the inner cut out areas.


5. Select the peek-a-boo fabric that you would like behind the felt and cut it large enough so that it is hidden behind the shape. Stitch the felt shape as close to the edge as possible, starting with the outer edges, and then the inner cut out edges.


It's always fun to play around with fussy cut snippits peeking out from behind the felt, don't you think?
 

Sun Print 2017 fabrics from Alison Glass, to be released this January.

Linking up this week with Let's Bee Social.

6 comments :

  1. I SO love this, and of course my embroidery obsessed mind is thinking about how I want to layer those shapes and stitch them down by hand!!! Such a fun idea--thank you for sharing! Ps. Of course--freezer paper! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! As soon as I am done making commercial pattern for June in Toronto, I want to start using different material and technique. I will keep this one in mind

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, especially the bee :) And sounds easy enough - thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great idea to use the fabric shapes again with different materials. I like the beetle much. Maybe I can use this idea, too.

    Best Mareike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I need to try this technique!
    Besteht
    Julia

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails