Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Hail To The Queen... Bee!


I can hardly belive that it's my turn to be the queen bee in our quilting bee, and it couldn't come at a more perfect time.... just before our move! Even as early as February, I have been thinking about what block I would like for my bee quilt. I ended up "auditioning" three possible blocks, but was not really sure if I wanted to impose curved piecing or a 100 piece paper pieced block on my other bee members. The most likely candidate, the Churnstile block from Stitchery Dickory Dock, was top of the list, but after I had made a few blocks, I realized that I had very specific ideas about the direction I wanted to go with the colors. 



I knew that I wanted to do paper piecing because... well, I just love the accuracy of it, but I had used up all my other free pattern ideas. So, I decided to search some other quilting bees to get some inspiration. When I first saw this block, I was a quite puzzled. Hmmm.... very simple and it really did nothing for me.



... that is until I saw the blocks put together! I thought ahhh... now I see it - wow, what a fantastic design! There are several versions of this block out there, but I used Zen Chic's free pattern Prism, and printed it at only 85% (the original is huge!)



So, you might now recognize that pretty little stack of jewel tone fabrics that I shared last week... here they are again, all cut up and worked in with some colored low volumes. This is not my only project planned with this palette!


... and now I get to sit back and enjoy while all my busy bee members do the rest of the work for me ; ) 

Linking up this week to Let's Bee Social and Sew Cute Tuesday.

11 comments :

  1. What a fun bee block to choose. Can't wait to see all the scrappy goodness come together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pattern in your scrappy colors! Will have to add to my list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is going to be a stunner!! Hope all goes well with your move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your choice of blocks. The colors are gorgeous together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Long live the Queen! Hurray, hurray! This is going to be good. The blocks will be stunning. Enjoy your queendom and good luck with the move =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great block and such a beautiful colour palette. Sit back, relax and wait for them to come in!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your color palette is awesome and this will make a fantastic quilt! One of our "To be a bee" members made us sew a similar block for her and I loved it! A paper piecing block is perfect for bee groups - no problems with different seam allowances :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Curious how it will come together but it will definitely be a lovely, beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is going to be such a beautiful quilt - you will have so much fun assembling all the blocks when they arrive.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails