Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Just A Hint of Life

Over the last several months I have been noticeably quiet. My absence in blogging has not been due to any illness, depression, secret projects, or lack of desire or motivation, but quite simply... lack of time. When your daily schedule has been so completely turned upside down (like I suppose the rest of the world) one is forced to prioritize, re-think and re-structure how those very few, but precious moments are spent. Tasks and goals become question of "what is an absolute necessity, and what things can stay on the backburner?"

My re-emergence post will be notably absent of promises of doing better, posting more often, or anything that sounds remotely close to a New's Resolution, peppered with good intentions... BUT, with things moving in the direction of "normal", I wanted to revisit this space. 

Since pattern writing has become the epitome of a challenge with homeschooling, and has been shoved into the long-term parking garage, I wanted to have something that I could work on where I could simply sit down and sew without thinking, planning, proofreading, editing, and the such.

I was thrilled to stumble onto a block-of-the-month project from @ruthdevosart at just the right time. I have been a long-time admirer of her work - really a true artist! Since I am smitten with the colors that she already used, it was simply just picking the right shades of Basic Grey grunge.

Ruth has a very interesting technique where she uses a light interfacing on the individual fabric pieces, and as she explains, puts it all back together like a puzzle. I've enjoyed diving into this new technique, and it really has my brain ticking.

Since the BOM is a 12-month program, there are some months where we sew two blocks in a month. The first month she started us out one of her eucalyptus flowers, and then for the second moved onto stitching two different leaf blocks.

To say that there is a good bit of pinning involved is quite the understatement, but I have to admit that the end result is SO worth the effort!

The only challenge with a block of the month program, is being patient enough to wait for the next month....

If you want some real inspiration, be sure to check out Ruth's website... her childhood art is absolutely awe-inspiring!

2 comments :

  1. It will be an artwork when done :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Allison: I just literally just stumbled on your design... and fell in love with the finished block/piece. Your colors and work are just.... so soothing to me.. after 10 fasted paced years of starting a new business then the last 5 years care giving for 3 family members..then selling our home and moving to a different state. I must have been surely exhausted.. my sewing and embroidering surly keep me going. thank you for such lovely talent.. Cora

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails