Wednesday, May 24, 2017

In The Summer Time


Back in January, during the pattern testing phase of my Tiptoe Through The Tulips quilt pattern, one of my pattern testers shared with me about an applique project that she had just finished... essentially if one could take on Chuck Nohara blocks, then the "small amount" of applique in my pattern should be just fine too. I had never heard of the quilt designer before and was sent on a wild goose chase.


When I checked out the #chucknohara hashtag on Instagram, I knew I needed to watch myself lest I be sucked into yet another bucket list project... but I kept my cool. After I had found the 2001 Nouveaux Blocs de Patchwork online, I decided to put it on the back burner instead of in my shopping cart like the impulsive side of me had said to do. The disciplined side of me reasoned that if I just couldn't get it out of my head, then perhaps it might be worth re-considering.


If you are the average quilter (with or without kids), you know that summers, even though they are without the daily schedules and appointments, can still be busy... very busy. How many of you opt to be in the garden or traveling when the sun is shining rather than sweating from the steam of a hot iron?


So, since the thought of this book just would not leave me, (and trust me, I sat on this for a while) I decided to make this my summer travel, take it with you, basket project that I work on here and there as I have time. No pressures, no deadlines, no worries... just like summer. Even in those relaxed summer months my idle fingers can't go for too long without making something.


The book is a pretty no nonsense book with only small illustrations that have to be enlarged to the desired size. No instructions, no assembly diagrams, no fabric requirements... nothing. I have to say that it appeals to me the challenge of trying to try to figure out how blocks are put together. Everyone has their own approach, but since discovering the starch applique method, I'll not go back! The book, however, is not limited to only applique blocks, but uses traditional and other piecing methods too.


I've really been focused on using scraps for this. I'm planning for green to be the main/focal color with accents of pinks, oranges, and yellows. Even though Greenery is Pantone's current color of the year, my love for nature's color extends far beyond the passing trend.


The beauty of it is that I can prepare the freezer applique shapes and take them just about anywhere. We've been having the most divine weather, so these have been my afternoon on the terrace project these last days.


Want to read more about Chuck Nohara? Check out this blog post or this one. There are even some fun how-to videos (in French, but one can easily understand the process) or get inspired by some fabulous Chuck Nohara pins on Pinterest.


Linking up this week to Let's Bee Social

14 comments :

  1. Oh my! Shame on you for leading me into temptation! These are just wonderful! I had heard the tip about Chuck Nohara, but have been able to resist until now. But I just finished my "Tiptoe through the tulips" quilt exactly one hour ago. A dangerous gulf of only three projects in the pipeline has opened...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been dreaming of this book for years now... you might end up toppling me over so I have to buy it LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun! Enjoy with no pressure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooooo many books ahhhhhhh!!! Those applique block are absolutely wonderful. What is your favorite technique to turn your edges?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You fabric and color choices are making this a stunning project, and an "afternoon on the terrace" sounds dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your beautiful,beautiful blocks are making me feel like starting another Chuck project! Thanks for the shout-out and the link to my friend Elizabeth's blog post too! I will eagerly be watching this fabulous project grow and blossom! BTW , what size blocks did you decide on Allison?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, boy, THIS is going to be fun to watch grow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Allison, thank you for this very interesting post and your inspiring pictures. Your fabric choices for the blocks are marvellous and it all looks very appetizing. =) I have checked the links you provided and it looks as if there is a lot of variety in those blocks. I think that might be a very enjoyable Summer project and I am looking forward to reading along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! Simply gorgeous! It was have been Susan from Melbourne who tempted you into this - she was making such wonderful Chuck Nohara blocks :-) What a perfect summer project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your take on those blocks, Allison - the colors and beautifully finished edges - is gorgeous! Plus, now I have to add that cherry block to my birthday-project-for-mom list since she's obsessed with the fruit ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. That flower with the measuring tape fabric... Anyway... I will enjoy watching your applique efforts from afar :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow - this will be a stunning quilt. I adore the little pears. A slow stitch project of some description is always nice to have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought this book but am having a hard time trying to figure out how to enlarge the blocks to 6" finished. Would you please tell me the process that you used to enlarge the blocks? So frustrated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie, I simply enlarged them on my scanner/printer. I figured out how much seam allowance I wanted and printed them slightly smaller. It was a little trial and error getting just the right size, but once I had figured out what percent I needed to enlarge them, I used it on all the block. I did however, have to double enlarge... first at 50%, and then at 100% (something like that) I hope you get it figured out.

      Delete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails