Wednesday, June 27, 2018

An Apple A Day


So, if an apple a day keeps the doctor away, does a really BIG one keep him away fore even longer? I've shared a couple sneak peaks of my latest Basic Grey grunge yumminess here and on Instagram, but perhaps it wasn't really obvious what those bold splashes of red would become.


I was totally inspired by a Clare Young's print, and I find that when I look at almost everything these days, I just see applique shapes. I have to admit that her pear print makes me want to tear into my green grunge stash too.


For my standards, this is a pretty small quilt, probably a baby quilt size, but it also boasts my largest applique shape to date... that's an almost a 30" apple there!?!



Because of all the million appointments that one has to push through the end of the school year, I will have to bind this after the kids are finished. I'm a little back and forth on which binding, and would love your two cents... on one hand I like the red and white fabric because it connects to the red in the quilt, not to mention that the cursive letters reminds me of school, and the days where students would take an apple to their favorite teacher. The other black and white fabric is more subtle and let's the apple shine instead of the binding.


But, summer time is my applique time. I've gotten a couple of star blocks already from one of my bee members. You can see how it's grown already... I'm ready to let it grow some more.


In any case, I wish everyone a relaxed start into the summer season.

5 comments :

  1. I love your apple quilt. Thank you for introducing me to a new artist too, have to admit when looking through her IG feed, I was envisioning some felt/embroidery projects too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think both binding fabrics work. Though I would pick the grey one - of course :)

    Good luck with the last chaos before summer time xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would go with a simple red binding. That would frame the apple perfectly.
    It's beautiful by the way.
    Best Mareike

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would go with a simple red binding. That would frame the apple perfectly.
    It's beautiful by the way.
    Best Mareike

    ReplyDelete
  5. The apple is wonderful, I like the red cursive print, but both look nice. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails