Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Orphan Block Sampler


Do you have THAT box?... you know, the one with all the orphaned blocks from past quilts?

I've had it in my head for quite some time now to make good use of a few of the blocks that had been packed away in THAT box. I was first inspired to make an orphan block sampler from Julie... I just needed to accumulate enough blocks that didn't make the cut were set aside for their special day. It was actually quite fun to pull them out again and think about what had inspired me to make each one of them in the first place. 


You might even recognize a few from some of my previous projects. These first two blocks are actually from my most recent finish... any ideas?



... yup, that's Tiptoe Through The Tulips from my table runner project! Just a little redo to give a whole new makeover to these blocks.

I most certainly don't need to tell you how versatile half square triangles are. Since I was so undecided about my half square triangle quilt, it was nice to play with a few other arrangements that didn't make it in the original quilt.


Remember this finish from last year? My basket project, Modern Beauty table runner? I still had several orange peels left over to make another block.


ahhh... freezer paper, how I love you, let me count the ways. While working on my video tutorial for freezer paper applique, I ended up making several buttons in the process (free template here). These notions are far too fun to be left in the unfinished pile!


While in the middle of my let's-freezer-paper-everything phase (even if it doesn't need to be), I found this fun pinwheel/circle block, and just had to try it.


Even though I am very well aware of my color tendencies, I have to admit that I was quite surprised about the softness of the colors and the overall feel. The surprise is that it's not my usual popping contrasts that I so often lean towards.


With this quilt, I've tried to either use blocks from previous projects or fabric that was already cut from previous projects. The only newly cut fabric will be the low volumes that I use to connect the blocks. The cherry on the top is that it doesn't take much time for a quilt top to come together!

Linking up to Let's Bee Social

13 comments :

  1. How fun! That looks almost like a planned sampler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - I am amazed at how cohesive this is!!I love it :-) I have very few orphan blocks, but even if I had more, I'm fairly certain they wouldn't be able to be put together in one quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its just fantastic--also i spied your penny sampler beside it and I just love the direction yours is taking. So pretty!! I think the reason your orphan sampler is working is that you have a good sense of what you like for fabrics--the softer ones didn't make the cut in the real projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your colors play so nicely together! You have very consistent taste. I'm hoping to use some of my orphans, too, but still need to accumulate a few more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are your orphan blocks? They are oh so lovely, and way prettier than those that made the cut, in my case. The best part - they all play very well with each other. I am adding your blog to my reading list, because I would not want to miss any of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a bunch of orphan blocks, but they are not nearly as pretty as yours are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! The colors go so well together! And those big buttons are such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your orphan blocks are so pretty and co-ordinated. This will be another beautiful quilt. Thanks for mentioning my quilt as inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! I'm really interested to see how you will connect the blocks. I happen to be working on an orphan block improv project right now too, and I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to make it come together. I'm sure your solution will be brilliant, as usual. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Allison, this orphan block quilt is going to be lovely. Did you notice it kind of matches the colors of your blog logo? And speaking of freezer paper piecing, do you have a tutorial or blog post, or can you recommend one about the best method for doing circles?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea, it looks wonderful. I love your use of colour. We all have tnedencies. I am new to quilting so seeing how you put colour and pattern togther is an inspiration. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, they all go together so well! I really love those button blocks

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are many lovely blocks in here - so I agree to call them orphaned is a bit harsh. But I am happy you are finding them a "quilthome" anyway :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails