Wednesday, May 6, 2009

"Corner View" Shopping in Germany

I think that I should never tire of streets and markets lined with vendors offering everything that is fresh. From colorful flowers, fruits, and vegetables, to cheeses and deli meats from around the world, there is no need for the "one stop shopping" concept.

My favorite food season of the year... white asparagus and strawberries. Between April and June almost every restaurant in Germany serves some variation of these seasonal favorites, and every market and grocery store is filled with this tasty produce.

For years I have been secretly annoyed at the amount of parking spaces I missed out on at the grocery store or Wal-Mart, because someone was too lazy to return their cart. When I first moved to Germany, I found this simple concept of having to pay for a cart brilliant on so many levels. One simply uses a 50 cent, 1, or 2 Euro coin, just like many of the airport carts, but the great thing is that you get your money back when you return it.
I love how "green" Germany is... you always see people using foldable boxes, baskets, or fabric bags instead of the disposable plastic bags, and why not walk to the market or take a bike?

Our favorite home improvement has it all... lumber, lighting, tools, bakeries, deli meat stands, fresh apples from the land,... and a kitchen sink all in one stop.

Unlike the new and uninteresting malls that I was used to frequenting before in the U.S., beautiful old buildings with character add to the total shopping experience...

For all you "shopaholics", visit Jane at Spain Daily for a world shopping spree...

20 comments :

  1. asparagus and strawberries ... hummmm !!! I love it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sooo great. Your markets are amazing! Thanks for showing this bit of your world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, how I love the architecture! Beautiful pictures especially the on with the bags and apples, I wish there was an Aldi here in Italy as well..;-).
    Huge market...missing that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard of white asparagus! Our local variety is purple, which is very different from the green asparagus available elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went to the market this morning....love your photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's nice to read your comments - makes me view my own neighbourhood in a different light, we take so many things for granted when we're used to them... ;)

    oh - and where on earth did you find that yummy-looking bottle with caesar's dressing?! i haven't seen it anywhere round here and would love to know where to get it!

    best from berlin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for sharing!
    so much to see...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very, very similar to Italy. . . including the carts that require coins. We have white aspargus here, too. The area of Bassano, in Northern Italy, is known for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I´m probably one of the few who doesn´t like white asparagus. I love on the other hand the green ones.
    But strawberries....I love how they taste here. So sweet.
    That´s the good thing that they sell it only when it is their season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm, I want to walk down your street every day. LOVED THIS POST!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the bins are over flowing with wonderful food. I enjoy this kind of shopping. Hmmm.... maybe we should charge for carts here in the US so they don't stay in the parking lot rolling into cars etc... great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love this!! The return your shopping cart is such a brilliant idea!! I wish the US would adopt that concept!! Love your photos... such a rainbow of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful markets! And I love that architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha, thanks for your sweet comment. :) White asparagus.. interesting.. and strawberries, yum-o. The markets there look scrumptious! People who leave their carts in the middle of parking lots drive me nuts.. the concept of paying and then getting your money back with return is a good one. They do that at Aldi here, but it's the only place I know of. And although fabric bags are sold everywhere here now, I rarely seen anyone using them. I just bought two new ones myself in anticipation of outdoor markets opening soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the wonderful pictures. My favorite on is the one with the apples.

    When I have been in the States we used to go to a farmers market - indoor - but - with all sorts of cheese, fruits, vergetables, fresh pasta ...

    I am very surprised that some of your readers don't know white asparagus, I think it's better than the green one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. everything looks so beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful colors !!! Bravo !

    ReplyDelete
  18. To show the german daily life, what a great idea! Never thought, somebody could interested in such a thing. But the comments show: there is! You presentation about shopping in germany is realy lovely. From Aldi to the Alsterhaus (love it). Great!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails