Friday, May 15, 2009

Waiting to Exhale

Some of you may have noticed that I have not completely been here this past week or so, and with good explanation. After debating for months when we should visit home, and then doing nothing about it because we couldn't find dates that fit, ... spontaneously we decided to fly home to see my family. From bed to bed it takes 24 hours... this just means from the time we got out of one bed and fell into the other.

Our first night home my mom fixed a big "birthday" dinner for me, my husband, and my dad, who had all had birthdays within the last two months. The table was decorated with candles and wild dogwood flowers and grilled lamb made the menu followed by my favorite desert.

... ahhh, it was delicious! Much to our amusement, my dad is trying to teach my niece how to be a "real" country girl...

But despite jet lag, it was good to be home... where my family is... to see how my nieces have grown since fall.... to have quality time with them playing, creating, exploring...

... to visit my 82 year old grandmother and make sure that she is invited to every dinner and is well fed... to see all my aunts, uncles, and cousins gathered in one room like we have for every holiday since I could remember.... to stay in our pajamas and drink tea and just catch up... to pick wildflowers whose smell brings to memory what the "West Virginia" woods smell like...

...to see my husband bond with two energetic girls that love it when he gives them "upside-down-kisses"... to eat ice cream with the sister-in-law who I now know as "sister"... to spend time with my mom and help her fill her flower bed with flowers that will line the front of the house like a red carpet... to continue the tradition to visit the local fabric store with a favorite aunt... to see the joy of kids laughing and rolling around on the floor as all the girls gang up on the only boy...

....EXHALE... yeah, it was good to be home.

10 comments :

  1. lovely lovely post. I share so many of your sentiments (big surprise)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you got to go home! i can't wait for our Christmas trip this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a wonderful trip and like a great family.

    It's a good feeling to have a HOME which continues to be HOME even though one hasn't been living there for years or like in your case it is a 24 h trip away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allison, that sounds like a wonderful trip, so tell what did you bring back( food, sweets, bookds , mags????)
    enjoy your weekend
    kay
    ps: I get homesick( sometimes)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I go home to my parents my mother cooks during the time that I´m there only things that I love. Hmm....can´t wait to go home in 2 weeks. ;)
    What a lovely post...you can see and read the joy.
    Welcome back in Germany and have a great weekend, Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like a great visit! what a happy post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Juliette, just 7 more months to go! We would like to go back for Christmas, but we'll have to see how the funds are.

    Kay, of course we brought lots back ...magazines, clothes, peanut butter, peeps, kitchen tools, ribbons, thread, beads, and quite a number of things that I will be showing in upcoming posts. I could shop, ask as many questions as I wanted, the salespeople understood everything I said, and I understood everything they said...it was glorious!

    Janette, I would love to hear about all your yummy dishes...enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We enjoyed seeing you and Christof in West Virginia!! Thanks for the tea time Christof!

    Allison--Did the peeps make it back OK? Are they hard yet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy, no worries... the peeps made it in all one piece, but they might be a little hard.

    We had a great time with you guys and I think we should make it an annual tradition. I guess Levi helped you out... welcome to the blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Allison... how funny you posted on my blog earlier... I had tried to comment on yours this afternoon and it didn't take. I look forward to seeing more of your stories.. absolutely love your pictures... what kind of camera do you have?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails