Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Design Wall Shuffle


I'm busy checking things off my goals list, and while I really like to add things to that list, I think I like it even better to check things off. One major check mark this week was finishing my Jeweled Mystery quilt top... can you believe that I've finished a whole quilt top, sent it off to be quilted, and really have shared practically little to nothing here?!? All in time... all in time.

But my next deadline is lurking, and now I'm wanting to go a direction that I've never really been before with the blocks that I shared last week... and that is to finish a baby quilt with a lot of negative space. 


Negative Space... there's that scary word that makes me cringe all the way to my toes trying to come up with ideas to quilt this, but I really want these adorable blocks to be highlighted and the focal point. My plan is to incorporate various low volume scraps into the background as well as a creme Basic Grey grunge fabric.


So far I've combined the individual blocks into a larger color block by adding Basic Grey grunge in a complimenting color, and added a reverse applique climbing leaves block. For this, I essentially used multiple print outs from my "Mini Foliage" template, and simply finished every other leaf. I think that this might need a second set of leaves, and I am still playing around with the placement.


Here I switched the leaves to a vertical position instead of horizontal. I think one vertical and one horizontal set of leaves might be a nice balance.


Is"Negative Space" a scary word for you too, or do you thrive on counting the ways to fill it up?

Linking up to Let's Bee Social.

12 comments :

  1. I am so excited to see you putting these adorable blocks into a quilt already! The leaves and negative space are a perfect choice, allowing for the pieced blocks to be the focal points. I struggle with resisting to fill in the negative space with more stuff.... But seeing this layout, you have me convinced to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love where you're going with this! I like negative space, maybe because the quilting is my favourite part :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is looking great~and I love the colors you're working with...looking forward to seeing how this all comes together. I'm too "chicken" to work with much negative space :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both different layouts. The pieces on the design wall somehow make me feel very contemplative =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a delightful quilt. It is enchanting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The expression "negative space" seems a little too negative for me, but I sure love how you are using it in this quilt! The colors are wonderful-- as usual for you. And the little animals are enchanting. It will soon be time to go into the woods again and look for mushrooms...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh, love the fun paper pieced blocks. How cute are those mushrooms ?!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need to do a quilt with negative space as one without a deadline. Otherwise I end up with not enough time to try anything really creative. Love those blocks though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a precious quilt this will be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good design wall shuffle! This is going to be gorgeous, there's so much to look at in this quilt! And yes, negative space is scary to me too. Just have fun with it, the rest will sort itself out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the design wall magic and your whole idea for a quilt. Yea, neg space scares me too but the result is so fun. Can't wait to see where you end up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This quilt is simpy wonderful! You can be very proud!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails