Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Pulling A 180


Sometimes you find necessary that you just have to make something right then and there because inspiration hits you like a ton of bricks. To hesitate, means that it's too late... somehow if you don't jump at just the right moment, then the window of opportunity is gone.

I've been working almost exclusively on my Jeweled Mystery quilt, and working so intensely on a project it's sometimes difficult to stay on task. I even have a deadline of when the quilt top needs to be sent out, but sometimes having a creative "breather" is the best thing to re-group before a final push.


You may remember these sweet paper pieced Forest Floor mushrooms that I pattern tested for Lillyella's World a while back. I really enjoyed making them, but once I had finished them, I wasn't quite sure how to put them to good use. 


... BUT when I saw the Woodland QAL contest that Tartankiwi is running on Instagram, it was a drop everything moment for me... I didn't want to miss my window, right? I started thinking that a marriage of the two paper pieced blocks were a match made in heaven.


Both pattern sets are extremely well done, and I thrive on a pattern where I really think about fabric placement. These Cori Dantini acorns are just perfect for this little furry friend, don't you think?
 

Hands down, the bunny block is my favorite. When I saw it, I knew that my bunny had to be done up in Kraft paper Basic Grey grunge. Solids really aren't my thing, but I think that grunge fabric just adds so much more depth to a project.
 


My husband jokes that this last block has to be my favorite... especially since he calls me his "little house mouse". Using various low volumes for this scurrying, tiny friend was my favorite part of this block.


I've played around with a few layouts with these blocks, but with an August 28th deadline for a finished project, I don't have much time.

 
Linking up this week to Let's Bee Social.

21 comments :

  1. You must have a pretty fantastic stash to be able to find the perfect fussy cut. All those blocks look great together. I think I definitely need to invest in some grunge fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great use for the blocks! Lillyella is a talented designer so its a privilege to see my blocks used in combination with hers.
    I love your fun fabric choices.
    So glad to hear that you are enjoying sewing the woodland blocks. I have been working on a lot of larger scale projects recently, but these ones are so small and quick that I am really enjoying playing around with them and seeing what others do with them too.

    Can't wait to see your finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your mushrooms and their friends! Your fussy cutting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!!! Your blocks are amazing!! I love them all! Selina

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are very sweet blocks. I understand your enthusiasm about that quilt along =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right about about a match made in heaven! They do belong together and your fabric choices are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore absolutely everything about these blocks! The colors, the prints and - especially - the expressiveness of the animals. Even the mushrooms have character! Soooooo sweet and original!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I've had times when I had to drop everything and work on an idea! I love those moments! So, your mushrooms and critters are so amazing! I love how you coordinated them into pairs. Well worth dropping everything to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are adorable! Great fabric choices and combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so adorable! And I love how the mushroom and animal blocks fit together with the backgrounds. Since I'm into low volume lately, I really studied those background fabrics on the bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are completely amazing! I haven't tried paper piecing yet and I'm just in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so cute and quietly colourful, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE LOVE LOVE!! Soooo CUTE!! Are you going to do a wall hanging? A small quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  14. These little critters look right at home matched up with those pretty mushroom blocks. What a brilliant idea! Can't wait to see what you do with them...

    ReplyDelete
  15. These blocks are just too cute and I really, really love your fabric choice! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! These are so so so cute! I love each little sweetie and the mushroomas are also really beautiful! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blocks are adorable! I love how the mouse seems to be sniffing flowers on the wind and the little squirrel is holding acorns! Lovely all around!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea to make "matching sets" with the mushroom blocks. I have to say the purple one with the mouse is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was captured when I saw the mouse. I would love to have the 3 critters & mushroom patterns too. Anyway to get them?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails