Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Bee Blocks


My quilting bee really is quite a diverse group, and I really appreciate the many facets of the group... there's a German married to an Irish guy, a Swiss in Germany, a Polish girl in Denmark, two German girls who speak English just as fast as I do (if not faster) and then of course there's me... an American in Germany. 

The personal stories of each bee member are just about as diverse as our tastes in quilting... which is fun to work with combinations that are different than mine. Melanie was the the last quilter who was up, so I'll start with the most recent blocks and work my way back. 


Mell's vision for her quilt is a "Good Wishes" quilt... text or symbols in black on a white background. Holy smokes, if you know me then you know that there's hardly a stitch of black in my stash, which is why I had to steal borrow a Kona solid the last time we met for our HH Patchwork Treffen


She left the method open, and I just HAD to use the starch method for these. She wanted encouraging words/good wishes that one might find in a birthday card, etc. We could use words in another language, but it had to be a language that was relevant to us. "Segen" means "Blessings" in English.


Since Melanie actually knows both of my boys personally, I thought that she would enjoy seeing my little assistant hard at work holding her blocks. 


Magda is a color genius with a soft palette... quiet and understated, yet a certain unexpected subtle interest. She had requested shades of soft peach and carmel colors, mixed with light colored low volumes... again two colors that stretched me, but a fun color combination nonetheless. I love how her quilt is coming along so far.


Daniela wanted to make a baby quilt for a friend and requested blue's and mustard's and picked a free wonky improv log cabin pattern from Debbie of A Quilter's Table (instruction link here) She has the top together already, and it looks like so much fun... you can see it here.


I usually try impov with a fresh outlook again convincing myself that if I try it again that I might like it again, only to come to the same conclusion as before... improv is just not my thing no matter which way I slice it.


But inspite my total dislike of improv, I do love a good fussy cut block.


So...it's my turn to be queen bee for the months of July/August and I can't wait to see what my fellow bee members come up with for my blocks... here's my start.

Linking up with Let's Bee Social.

3 comments :

  1. I loved this post. Seeing the different styles of your bee mates was interesting. Although I like the look of improv, like you, I haven't embraced it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wonky, improv blocks are gorgeous! But I know what you mean. I struggle with liking improv, too! I really, really, really like your block choice, though! If I wasn't so busy right now, I'd try a block or two! Just might, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am already looking forward to my blocks :) And the presentation is of course superb. Kisses to all three participants.

    Collected as they are in this post the three bee month really do make for very interestingly different eye candy.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails