Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Christmas in July Take II



With two boys that are fairly close in age, I find that if I do something for one kid, that I have to do it for both kids... so this past Christmas I really wanted to give the boys something that I had made for them. I love paper piecing, and my oldest guy loves pirates... so why not combine the two? For the last three years his birthday parties have been about eye patches, treasure maps, and of course treasure hunts. Ahoy, Matie!


Pirates don't exactly fit to his tractor/automobile themed room, so it was a bit of a stretch, but I knew that this guy would flip over the dangerous pirate ship that was sailing the seven seas, (free pattern found here) and I would simply be happy that it somewhat matches his room.


I'm finding more and more that I actually enjoy spiral quilting, and have used it in some recent projects. I'm still working on feeling comfortable doing it, and practicing on smaller projects really helps.



In addition to the decorative pillow, both boys desperately needed a few pillowcases. I still had leftover fabrics from both rooms, and made a few "burrito pillowcases" This is a really nice way to add a few decorative pipings, but still end up with nice finished edges.


I'm pleased to say that both of pillows were a big hit and I'm looking forward to when I can make quilts for them... I'll wait until they get a little older.


 Linking up this week to Let's Bee Social.

5 comments :

  1. That's awesome. What's the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are perfect giftie for little boys! Sometimes it's difficult to find things to sew for them. Your quilting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that pirate ship pillow is amazing! I love the graph paper fabric you used for the sails. So clever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Das Kissen ist super schön!
    Liebe Grüße
    Steffi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the FMQ quilting. It just adds to the story of the pillow... some windy afternoon, waves lapping at the ships hull...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails