Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Slow Stitching


As I had planned, this summer has been busy with a lot of traveling and down time because of school break, but it's been a good one so far. My whole intention of of my Summer Garden Chuck Nohara blocks was to have a slow sewing project that can be taken almost anywhere, (well maybe except the beach) and even though sixteen blocks is no where near a quilt top finish, I'm still happy with "only" sixteen blocks. Just look how my garden has grown...


It's been somewhat surprising to me that a couple of the blocks have taken so much time, but it's the detailed blocks that give the most bang for the buck. This block is becoming one of my favorites... hmm, could have something to do with the notion fabrics, not to mention the other favorite snippits.



I've always been a sucker for a clamshell design, and this block is no exception. Even though I've never done an entire clamshell quilt, I can see myself revisiting this block for another small and fun project.



This fun yellow text print has been in my stack of background fabrics for a while, and I knew that it would need just the right fabrics to make it stand out, but also needed to not overpower the applique design. Doesn't this look like a fresh and juicy basket of summer oranges?


I think that the blocks are playing well with each other and it's fun to see how each block changes the feel of the quilt. I've glue based the majority of the blocks, but there are still several that still need to be stitched down. I've been using invisible thread and a straight line stitch to finish them.



Mary, Mary, quite contrary... how does your garden grow?


  
Linking up this week to Let's Bee Social

17 comments :

  1. This quilt is going to be luscious! As a gardener I can't help feeling a little envious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite version of these blocks ever! Love your beautiful colors & prints combination. So inspiring.😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, this is so lovely! The colors and patterns of the fabrics work so well with the applique design. Gorgeous stuff, Allison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is looking awesome Allison! The greens just shine with the pink and touches of purple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Allison, your garden turned out just gorgeous. It looks just so fresh and inviting. You really have an eye for combining fabric. And you really brought to blocks to life. I am so happy for you and only a little bit envious. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes you see a quilt (or 16 blocks lol) and just drink them in, savouring each look. I am in love with every photo in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. honey, your blocks look absolutely magnificent all together so far. When you first began your journey, I thought it was pretty ambitious, but you've already come so far, and your progress is astounding. The colors and fabrics you've chosen all play so nicely together. This just blows me away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful garden quilt. Great summer project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ach wie schön, ich könnte glatt ins schwärmen geraten. Bei diesen vielen Chuck Nohara Blöcken hast du aber auch einige ganz entzückende Blöcke ausgewählt und super umgesetzt.
    Liebe Grüße
    Steffi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just beautiful. Your favorite block is mine also - next favorite is the tulip made of measuring tape fabric. I love all the prints you have selected

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving your garden blocks, fabulous colour and fabric choices for all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, these are amazing blocks! I love your fabric choices, this will make an awesome quilt one day! Seems to be the perfect summer project ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of love, patience, precision and an uncanny eye for color and creativity - that is how your garden grows, Allison!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It will sure be a very creative and detailed garden!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What size are your Nahora blocks. Just got my book so I'm anxious to start. Will have to play around with enlarging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are 8 inches unfinished, with a 7.5 inch finish. This was the largest I was able to copy on my printer, so I decided to go with the odd size. I knew I didn't want to work with a 5 or 6 inch block... way too small for me. Have fun!

      Delete
  16. This is an awesome bit of applique. Really well done and like your colors.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails