Wednesday, August 2, 2017

The Other Side of the Pond


Have you ever sewn with jet lag? Well, I have. Maybe you've noticed, but then again, maybe you haven't, but I've essentially been gone this whole past month. A very, very long overdue trip to visit my family in the States was just what this girl needed this summer. Ahhhh....


As much as I soak up the time being with my family and friends, not to mention the language, I've really missed being at my sewing machine. Does anyone else out there have creative/sewing withdrawal issues in those summer months when the kids are home and are in constant need of entertainment?


It's actually a rather strange feeling when you first walk in your house after being gone for such a long time... even odd how a house is somehow different when there's been no life in it. But as you can imagine, it certainly does not take much time to reacquaint oneself with all those familiar, but sometimes dusty corners.


With a 24-hour-door-to-door and no-sleep-on the-plane trip under ones belt, getting back on track with projects in the works is a level beyond what jet lag will allow. While my Summer Garden applique project, which I took with me, is well organized and ready to go, I simply needed a sit down and sew without too much thinking, planning, or trying to figure out where I left off on an already started project... and it needed to happen BEHIND my sewing machine.


Does it really surprise anyone that I've started another "jump first, think about the plan later" project? Naaa... I didn't think so. You may have seen other projects from the Eads QAL from Carolyn Friedlander on Instagram... and boy, oh boy, was this the perfect, put-it-in-your-cart... pay... and start sewing project.


I will be coming back to reality next week when the kids go back to school and I can mentally work myself up to diving back into my top-of-the-list projects.


... but for now I'm just enjoying a little time at the machine.

6 comments :

  1. You were HERE in the US and I had no idea. I am glad you are back to sewing and all but a tad hurt that I missed connecting with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look of your pictures, especially the first one. It will be interesting to see how big your quilt gets - with all this not planning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, those are pretty blocks! Is that a paper piecing pattern? I love the vibrant fabrics you've chosen, and am glad that this project is meeting your need to get behind that sewing machine and GO GO GO! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, I've been known to start a quilt or two without knowing what it will look like when I finish! This Eads QAL looks interesting, loving your version in AMH fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving the look of where this is going. Wonderful colour mix, I want to see more of this one, and more details please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allison, I am working on my newsletter today and am featuring the Eads QAL as something I'm following. I would like to use one of your photos from this post of your Eads quilt in the newsletter, if you don't mind. I will credit you and link to this post. Please let me know if you would NOT like me to do that. Otherwise, I'm thinking you would be pleased =) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails