Monday, February 9, 2009

What Comes Around, Goes Around

This weekend has been everything that a weekend should be... relaxing. Since my husband and I have both been working so hard these last few weeks, we decided to spend Saturday afternoon and evening together and take it easy. So we quickly changed into our sweats and hit the couch, and to my surprise, my husband actually suggested a game day. The reason this was a surprise is that he doesn't like to play games. We played a few rounds of Connect Four before we pulled out Scrabble. Seeing as how he doesn't really like games, one can hardly be surprised that I had to finish the game by myself while he baked a cake for the following day.

A Sunday afternoon visit from the in-laws was the perfect time to embrace the traditional German coffee and cake time. I can remember the first time I partook of this ritual and was so excited by the little sugar cubes that were on the table. This of course sent my mind racing, reminiscing about old British films where the most proper hostess would always ask her guest if she would like "one lump or two" with her tea.

Much to my excitement, Sunday was the perfect time to get out my favorite tea set. This is such a fun and playful pattern and I was delighted by the matching platter that my mother-in-law purchased as a Christmas present after the pattern was re-released here.

Amazingly I had purchased my tea set about 12 or so years ago and had never really used it until I met my husband. The Villeroy and Boch set, which was made in Luxembourg, purchased at a flea market in the States, and brought back to Europe when I moved to Germany, is quite glad to finally be getting the use that it should. I guess what they say is true... what comes around, goes around.

6 comments :

  1. I adore your tea set!
    Greetings
    Stephie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! Fleamarket finds are great. This is why I'm looking forward to spring, cause thats the perfect time to go there.
    The story of your husband's family and the meeting with a Familienwappen Expert is so interesting (and a little bit scary). I should do some ancestry research too.
    Hope you don't mind that I linked your beautiful blog.
    Have a nice day!
    Stephie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you changed your profilfoto - very pretty!
    To detract from your desire for summer to come you could look for
    a similar stempelset on ebay - just a proposal...
    Have a nice day!
    Stephie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was actually a really great purchase for me, only $60 for the whole set... teapot, 10 cups and saucers, and the sugar and creamer. To replace the whole set, according to Replacements Ltd. a few years ago, would be over $600! In my college days $60 was quite a stretch, but I don't regret not one penny of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing, that was a great price, in the moment I only got one cup

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails