Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Most Unexpected Places

My last attempt at weeding my garden, I stumbled onto the most unexpected plant, or weed... I wasn't quite sure. But being the nice gardener that I am (code for I didn't get very far with weeding) I decided to let the green sprout grow, see what happens, and if it turned out to be nothing more than a weed, pluck it out with no mercy. It kept growing and growing, confirming that the spot it had picked was not planned... almost random and right smack dab in the middle of another blooming flower that I had planted earlier in the season.


After musing for some time whether or not I wanted to pull the tall, not really doing much of anything plant, my husband observed that he thought it could be a sunflower... but how!?! There were no sunflowers in the garden last year, I planted none this year... how could this be?

Then I thought about it... perhaps a few of our feathered friends who had stopped by so often this past spring for a snack, had repaid us with their own special treat... sort of a way of giving back.

After waiting and watching, sure enough, my husband was right... it was a sunflower. I have enjoyed it in my down time watching the head of our surprise flower follow the sun throughout the day as if it were afraid to let it out of it's sight...

... I just love the unexpected. Don't you?

2 comments :

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails